Finally I’ve managed to finish simple SDL framework (to quickly set up OpenGL projects and try out new stuff). Nothing fancy at this moment just the basic functionality. I can put my custom code for 2d overlays, 3d scene rendering and input handling now. I haven’t managed to add FSAA support yet. ( shame on me 😉 ). This could be quicker, but testing took a lot time.
I have few ideas about how this framework could be improved. The things that I would like to add are:
- bitmap/freetype font rendering
- better managing of texture render states
- camera handling (for free scene navigation)
- integration with existing GUI framework
- rendering type (wireframe/solid/textured), cull face mode switching
- parameter window with initial video settings
- basic mouse picking
- basic debug info output / error checking
If this framework will be good enough then I will be able to remove completely win32 api dependencies from my engine and input in it’s place SDL, cross-platform equivalent.
On the video below there is simple demonstration of rendering 3d object with 2d overlay. Screen capture is from my netbook running linux. I couldn’t demonstrate fullscreen/windowed mode switching because xvidcap is unable to capture such transition.